Saint Helena, Tristan da Cunha and Ascension formed part of the territory known as the British overseas found on the southern side of the Atlantic ocean. It was formerly referred to Saint Helena and dependencies up until the first day of September in the year 2009 when the constitution was replaced by a new one which gave all the three islands a status of being equal. The Union Jack was the first flag that was associated with this island. Other flags that were associated with the island include the Red Ensign and the red and white striped East India Company ensign.
In the early years of 1870s, the Blue Ensign and Union Jack was introduced upon ash colonies. The Union Jack which was defaced was to be hoisted on any vessel that could be carrying the Governor that is within the colony’s waters. The defaced Blue Ensign was also meant for hoisting on the vessels that were run by the government of the colony. After the year 1944, the plain Union Jack was replaced by the Union Jack that was defaced as the flag of the Governor when he was on land. The shield of the arms that had no white disc was later approved as the defacement of the Blue Ensign soon thereafter.
The flag of Saint Helena, Tristan da Cunha and Ascension was then adopted on 20th October, 2002. This was under a proclamation that was made by the Governor of Saint Helena, under the grant of Queen Elizabeth II’s Royal Warrant. These three islands used the Saint Helena’s flag for their official purposes.
The St. Helena badge was derived back then from the Colony’s public seal. It consisted of royal arms that were above an ornamental frame that surrounded the image of a ship that is three-mastered near the steep cliff’s base. The sails were furled and a flag flew at its stern. This badge was introduced in the year 1874 when the flag then was the White Ensign. However, in some later copies, the canton used to be left blank making it appear like the English flag.
The construction of a badge involved the procedure that was usual with a majority of people of extracting a scene from a frame and then refashion of a circular form. The scene in the case of St. Helena was made from the seal without any modifications and it also included a frame that was decorative. A pink ribbon was also seen drapped across the top part of the badge.