The flag of Samoa was adopted first in 1942, then officially in 1962 for the country’s independence. It is a mostly red flag with a blue rectangle in the upper left corner. Within the rectangle are five white five-pointed stars representing the Southern Cross constellation, which is the most prominent in the Southern Hemisphere. The Southern Cross is made up of four large stars and one small one.
Samoa has had a number of different flags throughout its history. The flag of German Samoa represented the country between 1900 and 1914. This flag had the typical German colors of black, white and red in a horizontal banded design. The middle band inflates in the middle to form a circle, which contains a black eagle with red talons and beak. In the middle of the eagle is a white shield containing a smaller version of the same eagle. Above the eagle is a gold banner and crown.
Between 1914 and 1920, the flag of New Zealand flew over Samoa. This flag was a simple blue ensign with a Union Jack in the upper left corner and the Southern Cross depicted in red on the right section of the flag. Between 1920 and 1962, the flag was Western Samoa under UK Mandate. This flag was the typical blue ensign with the Union Jack in the upper left corner. In the right middle was an emblem depicting three palm trees in sand with a white background. An alternative seafaring version of this Samaoa flag replaced the blue ensign with red.
The coat of arms of Samoa is a silver shield with the Southern Cross depicted in silver on a blue background that takes up two thirds of the shield. The upper third is split into two portions. One portion is a green sea with a coconut palm, the other has a gold cross and two concentric circles showing the world and the United Nations badge. It bears the words: “Faavae i le Atua Samoa”, which means in English “God be the Foundation of Samoa”. Another inscription identifies the coat of arms as the public seal of the Independent State of Samoa, or in Samoan “Malo Sa’oloto Tuto’atasi o Samoa”.